So... um... if nobody is going to react or write anything, let me. What should we do about this?
When I came to this site, most of the questions were well written, interesting, and enticed me to research even the things I was not an expert in. I sometimes even felt like reading questions completely different from my area (which is Computer vision and Image processing). Not any more...
I've also actively participated in the reviewing process up until a few months ago... but as the quality of questions visibly declined, the questions started lacking details, the language got worse, no effort was visible in the questions and the requests for details from established community members went unanswered, I stopped. Back when I review would take me 2-3-5 minutes per question, it was okay. But now, if I need to spend 10 minutes reviewing a question related to my field, and 20+ (or impossible) for other questions... I don't do it.
I used to come here for some stimulative problems when taking a break from my own work. They're slowly but steadily becoming less and less stimulating.
Some facts to support my claims:
- this and the last self-evaluation not only produced bad results but barely got people participating
- the last time I remember really enjoying the site (and, coincidentally, the last good self-eval was 6 months ago)
- this site used to be at the brink on putting all stats in green on Area 51 (I remember), while now we're completely in orange except the number of users
- I actively participate on another beta side, academia.SE. I remember when Academia used to be a baby compared to DSP. But, a site a year younger has managed to preserve the quality of the questions, increase all the stats, and basically, "grow up" while we are stagnating, or even declining.
- I remember when we had above 90% answered questions. We tried to do something about it, but I don't think it really worked.
I care about this site. I think it's amazing to have a SE site in my topic, it helps me with my work, I use it for procrastination instead of facebookish things cause it re-directs my mind to other problems and keeps it sharp, I enjoy helping but... I feel like the site has to get back on track.
I am not a very experienced SE user (not very inexperienced either, but well..), so I don't really have any suggestions to improving the site, but it does seem to me that something has to be done. Does anybody else feel that way? Does anybody smarter than me have some suggestions?